Sunday, February 3, 2013

Monday's Musings - If You Could Live Anywhere...

 This week for Monday’s Musings, we are talking about something a little less literary and a little more personal.  The big question is, if you could live anywhere, where would that place be?


For my fellow bloggers’ postings, check out the links below…


I’m a bit of a dreamer; I spend more time in my daydreams than is probably healthy.  But one of the results of all that time spent in my head, is that I’ve answered this question more times than I can count.  If I could live anywhere in the world, where would I live?  What kind of life would I lead?

Of all the places I’ve imagined, I keep coming back to one.

Scotland.

I’ve dreamed of living in a little cottage in the country, somewhere I could have a garden and be at peace.  Peace is something I lack in my everyday life.  I think a place like the one pictured below would be nothing but peace; a cozy little stone house with a large fireplace for the winter and big window to gaze out of when I need inspiration.



And to be able to walk among the hills and old stone ruins anytime would be simply amazing.  Is there anything more beautiful?



Of course there’s also the history.  While America has its own history that is fascinating and strong, it doesn’t have the age of so many other places in the world.  I’ve been doing a lot of research into various aspects of Scottish history for my book, and the more I read the more I love it.  Scotland had its savage times, as have many other places, but I’m intrigued by the idea of the old clans and how far back some of them go.  To be surrounded by that kind of history would be inspiring on a level I can’t even imagine.

And if I’m going to imagine living anywhere I want, then along with that would be any career I want.  And if I could do anything I want, it would be to write for a living.  Imagine!  Living in a peaceful, lovely little cottage in the country and writing full time. 

When I was thinking about my answer for my post, I realized it’s completely contradictory to one of the answers in my self-interview a couple of weeks ago.  The question was basically country or city, and I said city.  I think a city would be fun to live in for a few years, to try it out.  But not for the long haul.  For the long haul I think I want quiet.  I tend to be a hermit, it would be so much easier in the country.

What about you?  If you could live anywhere, where would it be?


5 comments:

  1. I want to go to Scotland sooooooo bad. My need is even worse after reading this post. If you move there, I'm SO coming to visit. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love Scotland and Ireland! Part of that is my mother is a McCarthy. I want one of those cottage gardens too--the tangled up kind! Every time I try a garden like that, it ends up...well...not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have big dreams of a beautiful English the garden but I think the reality would be miles from what I see in my head. :)

      Delete
  3. I love European history! Probably 90% of the historical fiction I read is set in England. I don't know a whole lot about Scotland so I'd be hitching a ride with Chris!

    ReplyDelete