Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Whatcha Listening To?

It's time for another Wednesday blog and Bronwyn, Jess and I are exploring our musical loves. We've hit shuffle on our music collections and we're seeing what comes up in the first ten songs.  Read Bronwyn's post here and Jess' here.

I'm very interested to see what comes up for me in this little experiment. I have a lot of different music playlists depending on my mood or task at hand, but for this I've hit shuffle on the whole collection on my iPod.  Here we go...

1. Working My Way Back to You - Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons:  I love so called "Oldies" and my favorite group is Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons. Listening to them never fails to cheer me up. And of course I try to hit those high notes, it's not pretty.

2. Careless Whisper - Seether:  Yes this is a remake of a cheesy 80's song by George Michael but I don't care. I really like the vibe to this version, I'm not even sure why.

3. Electrical Storm - U2:  While not one of their more well known songs, I enjoy the way this starts out quiet and builds...like a storm. U2 is one of my all time favorite bands, if not my favorite band. I never get tired of listening to them and almost every song brings me back to a specific place or time.

4. Pray Your Gods - Toad the Wet Sprocket: Another one of my favorite bands. They fall under what I call "Mellow Dude Rock." It's a genre. This song is off the Fear album which I recently realized has been out for 22 years. God, that's depressing.

5. She is Love - Parachute: I'm not sure I know any other songs by this band but I heard this on the radio once and really liked it. Also very mellow...which seems to be a lot of my musical tastes.

6. Blister in the Sun - Violent Femmes: Awesome 80's awesomeness.  What more can I say?

7. Hate Your Way - Nina Gordon: She was the singer from the 90's band, Veruca Salt. She has a very distinctive voice (although that never stops my husband from asking if she's that girl from that band). I've been listening to this album regularly since it came out in 2000 or so.

8. Canto Alla Vita - Josh Groban:  I'm honestly surprised only one of his songs same up in this little exercise, I have all of his CD's. I find his voice very soothing and inspiring at the same time.

9. Gentleman Who Fell - Milla: Another song from the 90's (this is a trend, I tell you). This is the only song of hers I've heard, but you may recognize her as the woman in all of the Resident Evil movies, Milla Jovovich.

10. Read My Mind - The Killers: This song always reminds me of a book I read once. For some reason it's very thought provoking.

There a couple of things/groups that I'm surprised didn't come up. The Counting Crows, for one. They make up a large part of my musical collection. Also, no Broadway songs. I'm not even sure the number of Broadway soundtracks I have on my iPod, but oh well.

So, this is what I'm listening to. How about you?

1 comment:

  1. OMG! I love Blister in the Sun! after I read your list I went and watched the video which I realized I've never seen. That is *messed* up. And now I also want to rewatch Grosse Pointe Blank.

    Counting Crows didn't come up for me either which is weird.

    Also I'm a huge fan of the genre title "Mellow Dude Rock" :D

    ReplyDelete