Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Wednesday Randomness - What Motivates Me?

This week’s Wednesday Randomness blog is on a topic I seriously need help with.

What Motivates Me?

There are any number of topics I need motivation about; exercise, cleaning, projects around the house, writing. I could go on, but I’ll focus on writing because, you know, I don’t want to think about the other ones.

First, here’s a motivational picture. Just a little something to put myself in a good frame of mind. Of somewhere else I would MUCH rather be.



Ok, what motivates me to write? So far, not much. It’s not my full-time job. It’s not even my part-time job, so I have a tendency to push it aside. Even though I would very much like it to be my full time job at some point in my life. Part of my problem is that after spending nine hours a day in front of a computer at work, I don’t want to spend any time in front of a computer when I get home. But that’s just an excuse.

The biggest problem though; I’m a huge procrastinator. And, I’m lazy. I’ve actually been told that…by one of my parents. I remember it well. We had to ask a parent to choose three words to describe us for health class. One of the words chosen was lethargic. Isn’t that nice? Made me feel great having to say that to the whole class.

Apparently this post is turning into free therapy, sorry about that.

Back on topic.

Physics.  Physics. PhysicsPhysicsPhysics. PHYSSSSSSSSICS. I hope you’re all getting this down.

Can you tell I’m having a hard time writing this post? It must be a lack of motivation.

See what I did there?

Deadlines motivate me. But I don’t currently have any that are writing related, so that’s not overly helpful. Sure, I could set my own. But my own deadlines usually don’t work, I just ignore them. I need someone, somewhere waiting on me turn things in. Someone that I can get in trouble with. That’s a motivator.

Even setting myself rewards doesn’t really work because if I really want to do something, I’ll just do it anyway.

Guilt is also a big motivator, but I've yet to figure out how to guilt myself into writing. It's usually other way I around. I feel guilty spening time writing and ignoring my family and the other things I need to be doing around the house.

The post has not gone at all like I intended, but there you have it. If anyone has any good ideas about self-motivation, lay 'em on me!

Check out the other Wednesay bloggers to see what motivates them:
Bronwyn Green
Jess Jarman
Kellie St. James
Kris Norris
Jenny Trout
Gwendolyn Cease

 

2 comments:

  1. Procrastination!! Yes! I totally am down with that. Jarman and I used to joke that we would start a club, but yeah we'll do it later. So bad, but I agree with you that once you work all day it gets really hard to come home and work more. I don't even have any fab suggestions for you. See now that makes me lame. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also a rider on the procrastination train. (I'll save you a seat.)

    But! I just remembered this great idea that Margaret Yang told me about to get writers motivated. First you write a check in a large enough amount that you'll notice it missing to an organization you can't stand - like maybe The Westboro Baptist Church. Then you put the check in an envelope, address it, put a stamp on it and give it to a trusted friend with the instructions that your friend mail the donation if you don't turn in the manuscript to her/him by the the agreed upon deadline.

    The idea is that you get the book done to prevent a donation you'll regret for the rest of your life. It's radical, but I've heard it works. I know Margaret has done it before. And she got her book done and her check back from her friend and ripped it up. :)

    I volunteer as check holder.

    ReplyDelete